The Poker Bookie

A journal dedicated to my exploits into Poker, Sports Betting, and Thoroughbred Racing

Name:
Location: Bloomington, Illinois, United States

Tuesday, October 26, 2004

Back in the Saddle

That didn't take too long did it? I am back to playing poker and blogging. Did you miss me while I was gone? :)

This past weekend, my wife and I went to New York to attend a cousin's wedding. Although, I had made several trips to New York, this was my first time going to Manhattan. All I can say is "WOW". This city is much more lively and happening than I could imagine. Quite a change of pace to the one I am accustomed to in the laid back South. I think if I would have visited this city prior to my 21st birthday, I would have probably moved out here. Although I am now happily married and wouldn't change that for the world, I think it would be very hard to give up the bachelor lifestyle if living in New York.

Anyways we get back into Atlanta on Sunday afternoon. For whatever reason, I have an urge to play poker again. The problem is that when I decided to quit playing for a while, I withdrew all my balance from my poker accounts so that it could not be easily accessible for impulse play. Since the nice folks over at RGP would not stake me, I am out of luck.

I log into Intertops and see that they have a $2004 freeroll starting to celebrate the 2004 World Series. I have a couple of hours to burn so I quickly jump in and register. About 800 people ended up registering but there was a lot of people who didn't even log in to play and were just being blinded away. Nothing much happens for me until the third level. I look down to find the beautiful pair of red aces. There are several limpers ahead of me so I make a sizable raise to thin the field and to get more money in preflop. Everyone drops out except for one caller. The flop comes King high and he bets the rest of his stack. I happily call and roll over my pair of aces. He shows me his KQ for a pair of Kings. As luck would have it, the river brings the dreaded King and I am now down to less than 150 chips.

I gave some thoughts to just calling it quit since I was so severely short-stacked and it was ONLY a freeroll. However, I hung around a little longer to listen to the table chat. I caught a couple of hands and managed to triple up. It seemed like I remained short-stack for the duration of the tourney but I somehow managed to make it into the money and finished around 50th place. That was good for $10 free bet in the sportbook and $4.50 in the poker account. Woohoo!!

Monday, I log in to find that they had a $5+0 tournament starting at 10:00 PM. I wanted to play but only had $4.50 in my account. I quickly jumped into a ring game and did a quick hit and run to bring my account to $5. Only 61 people ended up playing in the tournament and since it was a $500 guaranteed tourney, the fine folks at Intertops had to kick in the extra $195 into the prize pool. I love those overlays.

To make a long story short, I bring my A game and crush the competition. After about 2 1/2 hours, I finish off the last competitor and take down the first place prize of $150. I am not sure if it was worth the time but it's nice to be able to create $150 from nothing.

For those of you who have not heard of Check and Raise Poker, please take some time to go check it out. They are currently in Beta testing and will go live in November. Preregister now for some nice bonuses and check out the daily freeroll for real money that they are running.

Thanks to everyone for reading and good luck at the table.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home