The Poker Bookie

A journal dedicated to my exploits into Poker, Sports Betting, and Thoroughbred Racing

Name:
Location: Bloomington, Illinois, United States

Tuesday, July 06, 2004

I am back!

Seems like it has been forever since I last posted but I guess it's only been a little over 2 weeks. After 3 1/2 months of wedding planning and 2 receptions in 2 different cities (Atlanta and Albany, NY), we were able to pull it off. Let me tell you that our week of honeymoon in Marco Island, Florida was well deserved and much needed.

Not much poker content to talk about since my last post. Actually, I did end up playing in a live tourney in Atlantic City. In between the reception, we drove to NY and stopped at the Taj Mahal. They had a $65 freeze-out tourney on Monday night. After ponying up the money, the tourney started about 30 minutes after the scheduled start time. There were 177 entrants and first place paid closeto $3400. 17 other places paid.

We each started with 5000 in tournament chips. Less than 10 hands into the tourney, I was dealt AQ suited in late position. I called a standard 3X raise and I was heads up against the raiser. Flop came Q-5-7. He bets into me for 500. I decided to smooth call the bet. Turn came up a blank and this time he bets 1000. I think I should have either raised him here to see where I was or fold. Instead, I mindlessly call again. The river brings the 5. This time, he feigns weakness and checks. I fall right into the trap and bet 1500. He can't get his money into the pot fast enough and turns over QQ for the full house over my two pairs. The only thing that I can't figure out is why he didn't reraise me for the rest of my chips because he had the absolute nut unless I was holding 55 for quads.

Anyway that hand crippled me badly and I was under 2000 chips less than 15 minutes into the tourney. It was now survival mode for me. Our table was the first to break and I got moved into a fairly aggresive table. Sometimes into the third level, I pick up AA and manage to get my stack back to about T3000. Blinds slowly ate at my stack until I get to about T1800 and I find pocket fives in the big blind. Blinds were at 150-300 and there were a couple of limpers already in the pot. I decide to push in. One guy thinks really hard and decides to call. He flips over pocket fours. My hand hold up and I double through. I am not quite sure how but I made it to the first break and there less than 100 of us left. When we came back from break, the blinds were at 300-600 with an ante. I knew that with my short-stack, I had to make a move soon. When I found A6 suited in the big blind, I go for it. Only one other person in the pot calls with pocket twos. Flop comes with a 6 but also has a deuce and my tourney is over.

I had fun but wish I didn't get cripple so early so that I could have played more hands. Oh well, it was a learning experience and I was just grateful that my new bride went along with our little detour to Atlantic City amidst the hustle and bustle of the wedding receptions.

Now that I am back home and getting adjusted to married life, I plan on getting into a more regular routine with posting and online play. See you at the tables!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home